Located high on a hill overlooking Lake Marburg with the Pigeon Hills in the distance, the monument is dedicated to the now-extinct Passenger pigeon. Up until the 1880s, these birds were so common in the area. The monument was first erected by local Boy Scouts in 1947, then relocated to this beautiful spot in the state park in the 1980s.
Today, the only pigeon to be seen is carved in stone, but the park is a favorite for local birdwatchers who come to see ospreys, bald eagles, wild turkeys, songbirds, and flocks of migratory waterfowl.
The taxidermy remains of the last known passenger pigeon, who was named Martha, can be seen at the National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C.